Metal Roofs Guide
Metal roofing is the traditional type of roofing in Northern New Mexico but has come a long way since ” your grandfather’s barn tin roof.” Metal roof panels are extreemly popular in Northern New Mexico due to low maintenance requirements and the energy efficiency of the material, which can save you money over the long run.
The modern look of metal roof types can help spruce up an older home design as well, while also improving the overall structural durability. In fact, no matter what kind of roofing style or color you desire, there’s a metal roof to match!
Metal roofing styles
From traditional northern New Mexico exposed fastener panels to historic restoration with concealed fastener metal shingles to the clean lines of a standing seam panel we have the product that will fit your project.
At McPartlon Roofing we look at custom metal projects as an art form. Our resident artists create unparalleled metal works, with specifications and designs unique to Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico. Want to know the difference between exposed fastener and concealed fastener roofing? Learn more below as we walk you through the differences or contact us today and we will answer any questions you may have. If you are ready to start the process of getting a metal roof, request a roof assessment today.
What are the different types of metal roofs?
There are several different types of metal roofs that vary in style and materials from materials with concealed fasteners like metal shingles, standing seams and mechanically seamed panels to exposed fastener types like corrugated panels, PBR panels and Western Rib as well as zinc or copper roofing materials. McPartlon Roofing has years of experience repairing, maintaining and installing corrugated and exposed metal roofing materials. Which is right for your home of business? Learn more below or contact us today!
- Standing seam metal roofs are made up of interlocking metal roof panels that run vertically from the ridge of the roof to the eaves. The panels are then secured by concealed fasteners making them very weather resistant.
- Corrugated metal roofs, or wave metal roofing, have a wavy pattern and are often used for industrial and agricultural buildings. This is an inexpensive choice that can be installed quickly.
- Metal shingles are concealed fastener but do not come in panels, designed to look like other roofing materials such as wood, slate, or clay is another option. Metal shingles can be more expensive than other metal roof panels but the durability they provide is worth it. Their concealed fasteners make them much more weather resistant. Additionally, many historic buildings in Santa Fe have metal shingles, like the Peyton Wright Gallery, which McPartlon Roofing reroofed and won a historic preservation award for.
- Metal tile roofs are designed to look like traditional clay or concrete tiles but are made of metal. They are often used in areas with high winds or severe weather conditions.
- Copper roofs are durable and have a unique, distinctive look that can enhance the appearance of a building. They are also very long-lasting and can last for over 100 years.
- Zinc roofs are often used for modern architecture and have a unique, blue-gray appearance. They are lightweight and durable, making them ideal for areas with high winds or seismic activity.
How long do metal roof panels last?
Metal roofs are known for their durability and longevity. Depending on the type of metal roofing system and the quality of installation, a metal roof can last anywhere from 40 to 70 years or even longer. Galvanized steel and aluminum roofs generally have a lifespan of 40 to 60 years, while copper and zinc roofs have been known to last up to 100 years or more. The lifespan of a metal roof also depends on factors such as weather, climate, maintenance, and the quality of the installation.
Proper maintenance and regular inspections can help to extend the lifespan of any metal roof. This includes keeping the roof free of debris, ensuring proper drainage, and addressing any issues such as leaks or damage as soon as they arise.
Why choose a metal roof from McPartlon Roofing?
There are several reasons why you should consider choosing a metal roof for your home or building. The most important reason is durability. Metal roofs are known for their strength against elements and nature and for their longevity. Metal roofing’s energy efficiency and sustainability are two additional reasons as to why metal roofs are a great option. They help to reduce energy costs by reflecting solar heat away from the building.